August 5, 2015
One technology many pool owners may not know about for pool maintenance is Ultraviolet sterilization. UV light is a powerful tool in the fight against algae, germs, and bacteria, and can be used in conjunction with a sand filter to keep your pool water healthy and sparkling.
How UV Sanitation Works:
UV Pool systems are designed to take the power of ultraviolet light in order to reduce levels of chemicals and eliminate the need for chlorine byproducts while keeping a pool clean, manageable, and healthier for all.
The system can be easily installed just in-line of a pool’s filter system. Once installed, the system will attack the pool’s water with high amounts of germicidal ultraviolet rays that work to neutralize waterborne pathogens including bacteria, algae, and many others. The electromagnet energy used by the system works to get rid of organic matter and chloramines that often cause allergic reactions and irritation.
Good Enough for the Olympics
UV sanitation systems have rapidly become more popular in recent years. In fact, they are used in world-class pools, including the pool at the Beijing Olympic games. That explains the crystal-clear underwater images we all watched on TV!
Can UV Filters Completely Eliminate Chemicals From Your Pool?
UV sanitation systems have been shown to reduce the need for pool chemicals by 90 percent. Studies have shown that 90 percent of chemicals are used for oxidation while the other 10 percent are used for sanitation. UV pool sanitation systems do both in one easy sweep.
For more in-depth information on how UV pool sanitation systems work, click here for an article by Pool and Spa News. Or, feel free to contact us at Design Pool & Spa. We’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have.